Monday, July 18, 2011

Little Crates!

Little Crates!

This Blog is about part of our family history.  As an American far away from home I tried to create some traditions of our own.  Quite by accident, the tradition of „The Little Crates“ began at Christmas time. 

Before I continue it is imperative that you know that It is absolutely my most favorite time of the year.  Ah, sleigh bells, candles, cookies and hot chocolate....yes I love Christmas!  Well, anyway, with 3 little children all looking forward to the coming of „Christkindchen“ (the Christ Child) it was necessary to give „Christkindchen“ time and space to deliver all the presents.  To accomplish this, I decided it would be kind of cool to pack all the kids in the car and drive around taking in the lights and sounds of Christmas. 

Actually that is what my mom and dad did with my sisters and I when I was growing up.  What my parents also did was not just drive without any seemingly reason.  My parents with us in the back seat drove around looking at winter houses dressed in their entire holiday splendor but at the same time the drive around had a deeper meaning.  My parents brought home the idea of spreading holiday spirit by delivering festive candy boxes to those having to work on Christmas Eve (e.g. Police Department, Fire Department, State Police etc).  So we had our own little tradition in Illinois.  Upon finishing our 1 ½ hour drive, we would often come home to discover that the Christ Child had indeed visited our house filling our home with gifts of love.

Thus, I too, packed our kids in the car and drove around.  Yet we didn’t deliver candy boxes, we delivered small presents for close friends and relatives.  Of course these gifts need packaging!.  But being a stay-at-home mom money seemed to be a never ending issue.  This just made me a bit more creative and that is how I stumbled upon little wooden crates.  They start popping up in the grocery stores around September each year filled with juicy tiny mandarine oranges!  Instead of throwing these cute crates away, why not fix them up and fill them with small gestures of holiday cheer?  Well the idea of „Little Crates“ was born. 

But not to bore everyone too much I will continue the history of “The Little Crates” next week.

Best regards
“Putzi”




No comments:

Post a Comment