Monday, January 3, 2011

Books, Books, Books






Reading is one of my greatest hobbies. It is one thing that I truly enjoy doing. When I have a new book lying around on my desk, nightstand, or in my bookshelf, it’s very hard for me to read articles for school instead of devoting myself to that new story that is just waiting to be read. So in the last two weeks –off from school– I enjoyed my two new novels, one which I bought used on ebay and the other which I received as a Christmas gift. Both books are by Jodi Picoult, who seems to be becoming one of my favorite authors.
Handle with Care, the book from ebay, deals with the muddle and confusion of medical ethics and personal morality. It is the story of a family’s struggles, worries and joys; it is the story of a parent’s unconditional love for the daughter who is born with the severe form of osteogenesis imperfecta.
The other book, Vanishing Acts, is about memories. 28-year-old Delia, who grew up in a happy household with her father, suddenly finds out that she was kidnapped as a child by her loving dad. This novel deals with the power and nature of memories and that you can never escape your past.
So, if you would like to enjoy yourself with a good book or two, these novels are definitely worth your time. I really enjoyed them and can't wait for this semester to end so I have the time to start my third new book House Rules, which is also written by Jodi Picoult.

2 comments:

  1. I read House Rules last summer and thought it was a cleverly constructed book that reflected in an accessible way what life with an autistic person must be like, the assumptions we make when we are communicating, and the dangers that lie in thinking we know what is meant. There were a couple of aspects that I felt weren’t so believable about the way the police officer handled the questioning, but overall it was a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, knowing that I will closely pay attention to that part of the novel now... :)

    ReplyDelete